Our presentation was selected again for WordCamp Kansas City! Join us to learn the Five Legal Issues Every Freelancer Should Understand.
You can buy tickets and learn about WordCamp on their website.
If you are running a freelance business in Kansas City (or even just moonlighting), you should consider how the law impacts what you do. It may not be the most fun part of your job, but doing so will drastically increase the odds you’ll be successful.
We will cover five of the most important legal issues for freelancers:
- Business Organizations
- The differences between sole proprietorships, partnerships, LLCs, and corporations.
- How to form and operate a LLC.
- Paying Taxes
- Federal, State, and Local obligations.
- How W9s and 1099s work.
- Intellectual Property
- Including copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, and patents.
- And how to deal with ownership of your work product.
- Hiring People
- The difference between employees and contractors.
- What is a contract?
- Are oral contracts enforceable?
- Best practices including how to sign a contract.
Are you joining us?
Image: WordCamp Kansas City
*This article is very general in nature and does not constitute legal advice.